Richard Lamsdale: CV / Resume
A Consultant / Sales Specialist with 16 years’ experience in Enterprise omnichannel customer engagement. Extensive product, market, commercial, technical, project / program management and team leadership experience in the UK and globally.
Currently a Digital Engagement Consultant for Nuance (now owned by Microsoft), advising and guiding brands in adopting effective omnichannel customer engagement to reduce costs, drive revenues and maximise Customer Experience, with a particular focus on Virtual Assistants / Chatbots, Live Chat & Messaging, Conversational IVR and the wider application of Artificial Intelligence (AI).
Have played a key role in developing Nuance’s EMEA digital business from zero in 2012 to a market-leading position in 2022.
Previously worked in senior roles for Vodafone, Orange, Alcatel-Lucent and start-ups managing accounts and projects up to £20M and budgets to £5M. Well-developed understanding of international business culture. Native English speaker with some Japanese and French language skills.
KEY SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
Commercially and technically accomplished in many aspects of omnichannel engagement:
- Commercial: maximising opportunities through consultative selling; public speaking, presenting and demonstrating to the highest level; building trusted relationships; leading RFI / RFP responses; developing the ROI / business case; deal modelling; drafting and negotiating contracts.
- Technical: subject matter expert in omnichannel engagement including AI, Virtual Assistants / Chatbots; Asynchronous Messaging; Live Chat; Conversational IVR; Speech Recognition (ASR); Natural Language Understanding (NLU / NLP); conversational dialog; knowledge management; targeting.
Digital Engagement Consultant, Nuance Communications, Inc.
October 2019 – Present
Transforming customer engagement with AI through Virtual Assistants / Chatbots, Live Chat & Messaging, and Conversational IVR. 7,000 employees, 26 countries, $1.5 billion revenue. Nuance was acquired by Microsoft in March 2022.
Successfully guiding and delivering new sales and account expansion for Nuance’s omnichannel engagement solutions across UK, Nordics and Middle East. Focusing on enterprise omnichannel customer engagement.
- Subject matter expert for omnichannel engagement across voice and digital including Virtual Assistants / Chatbots, Live Chat & Messaging, Conversational IVR and AI.
- Work very closely with Sales in planning and adapting our positioning and sales strategies for key markets, verticals and accounts. Extensive market knowledge of digital customer engagement, including competitors and their strengths and weaknesses.
- Building credible, trusted customer relationships to board / C-level that maximise brand outcomes and long-term value alongside maximising Nuance bookings and revenue opportunities.
- Delivering compelling presentations, demonstrations and workshops to board / C-level. Experienced in running scoping workshops, technical deep-dives, roadmap and vision sessions.
- Shaping and modelling deal structures, ROI and KPI analysis, performance modelling, leading RFI / RFP and bid response preparation and presentation.
Digital Engagement Sales Specialist, Nuance Communications, Inc.
May 2017 – October 2019
Successfully planning, driving and delivering new sales and account expansion for Nuance’s digital customer engagement solutions across EMEA. An evolution of my previous role to a sales-overlay, with more influence over strategy. During this period, we achieved tenfold expansion.
Technical Account Director, Nuance Communications, Inc.
April 2006 – May 2017
(From April 2006 to October 2008 I worked for SNAPin Software, a US-based tech start-up, as Technical Account Manager. Nuance acquired SNAPin Software in October 2008).
Successfully supported new sales and expanding accounts for Nuance solutions. Focused primarily on enterprise virtual assistants incorporating artificial intelligence, machine learning, natural language understanding and biometric security.
- Subject matter expert for enterprise virtual assistants and AI / Machine Learning, helping to plan and adapt our positioning and sales strategies for key accounts.
- Built credible, trusted customer relationships to board / C-level that delivered long-term value and maximised bookings and revenue opportunities. Delivered compelling presentations, demonstrations, and workshops. Managed many successful trials and pilots.
- Shaped and modelled deal structures, ROI and KPI analysis, performance modelling, RFI / RFP and bid response preparation and presentation.
- Whilst at SNAPin managed an international team of Technical Account Managers in UK, Portugal and India:
- Managed SNAPin’s first deployment of mobile self-service and integration into enterprise business systems.
- Key team member (Technical Sales, Account Management) winning a £20M global deal with Vodafone, a key factor in Nuance’s acquisition of SNAPin.
Japanese Language and Culture Studies, Kudan Institute
December 2005 – April 2006
Lived in Tokyo, where I studied Japanese language and culture full-time, gaining basic-intermediate level Japanese language skills and a thorough understanding and appreciation of Japanese social and business culture.
Senior Programme Manager, Vodafone Group
September 2002 – December 2005
Vodafone was the worlds largest mobile telecommunications company by revenue, with a significant presence in Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Asia Pacific and the United States through the Company’s subsidiaries, joint ventures and investments, generating £41 billion annual revenue.
Global Program Management of the development and rollout of products such as Blackberry and 3G Datacard into Vodafone networks around the world.
- Program Management of Vodafone’s first Partner Market product launch, working with EMEA Product, Brand, Marketing, Supply Chain, Legal and Technology teams to define strategy, processes and policy.
- Supplier / vendor management and Product Management, gathering, analysing, prioritising and communicating requirements and product roadmap.
- Telematics (M2M) and SIM Product Management, investigating and analysing market and technology trends, building financial models, defining product requirements and managing product roadmap.
- Defined process, built relationships and pushed-through the first international business product launch for Vodafone Partner Networks.
Broadband Operations Manager, Alcatel Lucent
December 1998 – September 2002
A leader in telecoms: mobile, fixed, IP and optics, a pioneer in applications and services. Alcatel-Lucent included Bell Labs, one of the world’s foremost centres of research and innovation. Operations in 130 countries Alcatel-Lucent achieved revenues of €15.3 billion.
- Project Management of the rollout of three broadband networks for BT and Thus, worth £30M over 3 years.
- Operational Management, recruitment and team management of Alcatel’s specialised Broadband Operations department, leading, coaching and managing performance, defining working practices and structures to maximise results.
- Management of a regional office with a budget of £5M (forecasting, budgeting, tracking), reporting to Director-level.
- Management of equipment suppliers / vendors, performance analysis, contract management.
- ‘Alcatel Business Enabler Award’ for stabilising a failing project, rebuilding the team and customer confidence, and winning a new £10M contract.
Support Group Manager, Orange
August 1995 – December 1998
Orange was the UK’s most innovative and successful mobile brans, growing from zero customers in 1994 to almost 28 million customers, 15,000 employees and 700 stores in 2015 through a combination of technical excellence, innovative services and ground-breaking marketing.
Joined as a Network Planning Engineer when Orange was a start-up funded by British Aerospace (Microtel). Promoted to Support Group Manager in 1995.
- Managed a department of 25 Planning Engineers, Network Survey Teams, and Project Managers.
- Supported Sales and Marketing with short-term coverage and capacity enhancements at events.
- Enhanced network coverage through rollout of enhancers and microcells.
- Awarded the ‘Orange Award’ for project managing critical network rollout targets.
- Reduced departmental costs by 20% and increased productivity whilst simultaneously increasing quality and reducing staff-churn.
Electronics & Communications Engineering (sponsored by GEC-Plessey Telecoms)
- Further Education: GEC-Plessey Award for ‘Best Student’ and voted Student Representative.
- Secondary Education: Captain of School Athletics Team and ‘Head Student’.
Fascinated by the combination of technology, design and user experience. Active hobbyist / ‘maker’ with technologies like 3D-printing and drones. A classic car fan with a website and (very small) YouTube channel, owning, driving and restoring a 1968 Rover P5B Coupe and 1960’s Alfa Romeo coupe. Collect and use Mid-Century British hi-fi, furniture and design.