Richard Lamsdale: CV / Resume
Senior Technical Sales and Account Director, Digital Customer Service Solutions.
“Selling the current state of the art, building the business case and evangelising the future”.
Senior Technical Sales and Account Director with extensive Project / Program Management and team leadership skills, delivering new sales and managing accounts, currently for Nuance’s digital customer service solutions. Specialise in Intelligent Virtual Assistants (think Siri for the enterprise) incorporating Cognitive Computing / Artificial Intelligence / Deep Learning / Natural Language Understanding / Voice Biometrics.
Previously worked in senior roles for Vodafone, Orange, Alcatel-Lucent and start-ups, managing accounts and projects to £20M pa, departmental budgets to £5M.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- Intelligent Virtual Assistants (IVA) for customer service incorporating Artificial Intelligence (AI): Natural Language Understanding (NLU), Machine Learning and Voice Biometrics. Explaining the current state of the art, building the business case and evangelising the future.
- Web and Mobile Apps / Digital: strategy, design, integration, development, distribution, User Experience (UX) design.
- Excellent understanding across the tech industry, including dynamics, trends and future direction.
Sales, Account Management, Project / Program Management:
- Technical Sales and Account Management: complex digital customer service solution sales, cloud services, mobile, web and enterprise platforms, building effective relationships to C-level.
- Accomplished presenter and demonstrator, managing pilots and trials, led successful bids / RFP’s / proposals and negotiations.
- Sales and Account Planning: strategy, modelling, forecasting, KPI and performance analysis, reporting.
- Project and Program Management (PRINCE2 Practitioner).
Leadership, Vendor/Supplier and Other:
- Management and Recruitment: global teams up to 25 people, building winning teams, coaching and management.
- Supplier / Vendor Management: planning, product customisation, feature requests, delivery and launch.
- Cultural and Language: Well developed understanding of, and sensitivity for, international business culture. Basic-intermediate Japanese and French languages.
Technical Account Director, Nuance Communications, Inc
April 2006 – Present
Nuance is the market leader in redefining and delivering customer experience through solutions for top-tier Enterprises, mobile device manufacturers and automotive companies, including Intelligent Virtual Assistants, Speech Recognition, Natural Language Understanding and Voice Biometrics. 12,000 employees, 35 countries, $2 billion revenue.
From April 2006 to October 2008 worked for SNAPin Software, a US-based tech start-up, as Technical Account Manager. Nuance Communications acquired SNAPin Software in October 2008.
- Technical Sales and Account Management of top-tier enterprise customers across EMEIA for Nuance’s web and mobile products including virtual assistants, speech recognition, natural language understanding and voice biometrics.
- Subject matter expert for web, mobile app, network and cloud products in EMEIA, supporting Sales Managers to achieve quota and develop / expand market penetration.
- Build credible, trusting technical customer relationships to board / C-level that deliver value and maximise revenue opportunities.
- Deliver compelling presentations, demonstrations, and technical workshops to board / C-level. Develop and manage effective trials and proof-of-concepts.
- Manage requirements and customer expectations, analyse business metrics, solution design and proposal / SoW (Statement of Work) preparation.
- Deal modelling, ROI (Return-On-Investment) and KPI (Key Performance Indicator) analysis, performance modelling. RFP (request-for-proposal) and bid response preparation and presentation.
- Management of an international team of Technical Account Managers in UK, Portugal and India.
- Managed SNAPin’s first trial of mobile self-service and integration into Orange’s business systems.
- Key team member (Technical Sales, Account Management) winning a £20M global deal with Vodafone.
Japanese Language and Culture Studies, Tokyo, Japan
December 2005 – April 2006
- Full-time study of Japanese language and culture, gaining basic-intermediate level Japanese language skills and a thorough understanding and appreciation of Japanese social and business culture.
Senior Manager, Vodafone Group
September 2002 – December 2005
Vodafone is the worlds largest mobile telecommunications company, with a significant presence in Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Asia Pacific and the United States through the Company’s subsidiaries, joint ventures and investments, generating £46 billion revenue in 2011.
- Global Program Management of the development and rollout of products such as Blackberry and Datacard into Vodafone networks.
- Program Management of Vodafone’s first Partner Market product launch, working with EMEA Product, Brand, Marketing, Supply Chain, Legal and Technology teams to define strategy, processes and policy.
- Supplier/vendor management and Product Management, gathering, analysing, prioritising and communicating requirements and product roadmap.
- Telematics (M2M) and SIM Product Management, investigating and analysing market and technology trends, building financial models, defining product requirements and managing product roadmap.
- Programme Management of the launch of the first products with Vodafone’s global Partner Networks.
Broadband Operations Manager, Alcatel Lucent
December 1998 – September 2002
A leader in telecoms: mobile, fixed, IP and optics, a pioneer in applications and services. Alcatel-Lucent includes Bell Labs, one of the world’s foremost centres of research and innovation in communication technology. Operations in more than 130 countries Alcatel-Lucent achieved revenues of €15.3 billion.
- Project Management of rollout for three broadband networks for BT and Thus, totalling £30M expenditure over 3 years.
- Supplier/vendor management of equipment suppliers, performance analysis, contract management.
- Operations Management, recruitment and management of Alcatel’s specialised Broadband Operations department, leading, coaching and managing performance, defining working practices and structures to maximise effectiveness.
- Management of a regional office with a budget of £3M (forecasting, budgeting, tracking), reporting to Director-level.
- Subsequently led the team to win an addition £10M contract.
- ‘Alcatel Business Enabler Award’ for stabilising failing project, rebuilding team, winning £10M contract.
- PRINCE2 Practitioner.
Support Group Manager, Orange
August 1995 – December 1998
Orange is one of the UK’s most innovative and successful mobile networks and brands, growing from zero customers at launch in 1994 to almost 28 million customers, 15,000 employees and 700 stores in 2011 through a combination of network excellence, targeted services and innovative marketing.
- Managed a department of 25 Planning Engineers, Network Survey Teams, and Project Managers.
- Supported Sales and Marketing with short-term coverage and capacity enhancements at events.
- Enhanced network coverage through rollout of enhancers and microcells.
- Awarded the ‘Orange Award’ for project managing critical coverage targets.
- Reduced costs by 20% and increased productivity whilst increasing quality and reducing staff-churn.
Sponsored Electronics & Communications Engineering (GEC-Plessey Telecoms)
Achievements: GEC-Plessey Award for ‘Best Student’ and voted Student Representative.
Address: Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
Japanese Visa: Full working entitlement (spouse of a Japanese national).
Languages: English (native), Japanese, French (basic).
Fascinated by technology and design: follow mobile and technology industries closely, collect and use post-war hi-fi and mid-century furniture. An Alfa Romeo and Rover P5 fan, owning a 1960’s Alfa coupe and a Rover P5, and enjoy kart racing, mountain biking and photography.